VAT (value added tax) refund is possible for foreign customers who have received a tax refund form for their purchases.
Tax Refund Procedures
With a Swiss slip:
With a European slip:
- Go to the reserved area, the top floor, follow the “Détaxe / tax refund” signs
- If refund is requested in cash on the form => go to the Global Exchange counter.
- If refund is requested by credit-card => => put the tax return slip in an OPEN envelope in the mailbox in front of the Global Exchange tax refund counter.
Modification of the procedures for tax refund formalities on the French side from December 1, 2020 and until further notice:
Arrival in Geneva of a flight from France
Passengers coming from France and going to Switzerland wishing to carry out a tax refund on goods purchased in France:
The PABLO terminal is no longer in service at Genève Aéroport. Tax refund formalities must be carried out at the French departure airport.
Ex: I arrive from Nice, I live in Geneva. I made purchases in Nice and I would like to have French customs tax free. I am speaking to the customs authorities at Nice airport.
Departure from Geneva for a destination outside the European Union
Passengers departing from Geneva wishing to carry out a tax refund on goods purchased in France or in an EU country:
The tax refund service by French customs is no longer possible from Genève Aéroport. The formalities must be carried out at the last road exit point from the EU (Saint-Julien Bardonnex, Vallard Thônex or Ferney-Voltaire for example) in accordance with the circular published in the Official Customs Bulletin 7328 of 15.11.2019: www.douane.gouv.fr/la-douane/informations/bulletins-officiels-des-douanes/da/19-044
Ex: I come from Chamonix, I live in Moscow. I made purchases in Chamonix and I would like to have French customs tax free. I proceed with the tax refund formalities at the road border when leaving France (Saint-Julien Bardonnex for example). In the event of proven impossibility for reasons incumbent on the service in this place, I send a request for regularization described in section 9 of the circular mentioned above (regularization by visa a posteriori).
General guidelines for a cash refund from Global Exchange
- Compliant and duly filled in tax refund slip: full name, full address, full address of residence, passport number, signature of the shop, signature of the customer, stamp of the European customs authorities for EU forms, original of the receipt.
- The refund is only possible in cash, in the currency of your choice.
- Global Exchange is a partner of the following tax refund companies: Solpay, Global Blue, Détaxe SA, Planet Payment.